New [adj]: Not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time

Oh gosh. New things. All over the place. Again.

My job is now full-time. My social life has grown. And I've become aware of several habits that I am trying to break. (Sugar withdrawal ain't no laughing matter.)

A lot's been going here in the Boulder Bubble, not the least of which is being surrounded by wildfire outbreaks, mostly due to lightning storms. We finally had lots of rain last weekend, which may put a damper on climbing trips, but I'll take it if it means my state won't burn to the ground.

Two months in RI during the winter felt like I was living an alternate life; I already know how to exist quite comfortably there, what with friends, family, and old jobs to go back to. One of my co-workers in Boulder asked me how my trip was, and I told him it was like leading a double life. I put Boulder life on pause, unpause RI life when I get there, and do the reverse on the way back. It literally feels like no time has passed, more often than not. The only difference now is that I have a "thank you" poster hanging in my room from my 3rd grade dance class girls.

The summer is off to an exciting start. I climbed in Joe's Valley, Utah, where I sent my first outdoor V3 and learned what complete silence sounded like. Those were my two favorite parts of the trip. My comrades and I also made an appearance at the Teva Mountain Games in Vail, where we walked around grabbing all the free stuff from vendors (I think I have at least 5 new chapsticks) and cheered our climbing community on at the IFSC Bouldering World Cup. A true vacation week at its finest!

Almost directly after getting back home, I whisked myself off to PA to be part of my cousin's wedding! The whole week was filled with constant fun. It was a lot of work to put the wedding together with Emily, Conrad, and the bridal party, but it was well worth it to participate in the ceremony surrounding the start of Em and Conrad's life together. I can't wait for more pictures!

Back in Boulder, chaos is starting to reassemble into something that makes sense. I have a new place to move into in August, a bicycle that Jordan got me for free from a neighbor, a farm share that will feed me for most of the summer, and an interview at a dance academy in Longmont! That last one remains a mystery that will unfold in due time, as that just happened this afternoon, but I have a good feeling about it!

In fitness-related news, I started back up with taking dance classes again this spring (woo!), and have hired my first personal trainer. One of our new staff at work is a PT and wants to create demand for trainers in the climbing world. Since I wanted to figure out what I personally can benefit the most from, I've started working with him once a week. Even though I hate running, I'm already doing 3 miles at a time... pretty sure I'm going to revisit my fitness level from senior year of college in no time. Psyched!!

Also finally got a taste of alpine bouldering, which has been an every-other-week event at least. It's definitely a different ballgame to be out in a rock field, where you need at least 4 crashpads and 2 spotters to be any sort of comfortably safe when falling. I haven't excelled at this yet, due to how scary it looks when friends go crashing down into an abyss. Perhaps I will eventually be strong enough not to fall... ever?

In the meantime, we'll enjoy the rain out here and I'll look for more ways to enjoy life :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My 86-Year-Old Client

The usual? Nope, no more of that.

Artist vs. Craftsman