Good, Great, Better, Best

Does this happen to anyone else?

Just when you think you've gotten a handle on who you are as person, you learn something new. Or something at least suddenly becomes clear to you, more like an epiphany about something that has evolved over time.

This is literally a constant, cyclic occurrence. I could be under the impression that I've figured out how I think/feel/act about a certain area of my life, and then suddenly, I realize the reality is different from my perception. Possibly better, possibly worse.

Specifically, I've been thinking a lot about my career life. My boss handed me a book called "Good to Great" by Jim Collins, a case study of several different companies that made huge breakthroughs and had sustained profitability. Jim went into the project looking for the reasons that these companies had such marked results compared to others. One of the chapters is about being able to confront the brutal facts, knowing what your company will be the best at as opposed to something it will just be "good" at. If you want to profit and not be "just mediocre", you have to find your niche and then stick to your guns.

I was sitting in the sun on my balcony the other day, playing with my cat, when I happened upon the thought that I can apply that same mode of thinking to myself. I can choose to listen to the facts about my life and create room for progress, or I can choose to ignore the facts and wonder why I feel dissatisfied or why things simply aren't working.

Part of the issue with being able to confront facts is having the awareness that there are some brutal facts about yourself. I'm pretty sure there was someone famous who is quoted for having said something along the lines of "If you want to be good at everything, you will be great at nothing." This so applies to me I can hardly stand it. I try so hard to be good at everything, to learn everything I can so that I can do anything that is asked of me. It's possible that it's out of a desire to be able to help wherever I am needed; I truly love that I can do that. But I will not be great at anything in particular if I spend all my energy filling any need that arises. I have to know what I am best at in order to reap the biggest reward, for both myself and others.

Hm... best at. What could I be the best at?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My 86-Year-Old Client

The usual? Nope, no more of that.

Artist vs. Craftsman